Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 18:19:17 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GSoC project - collaborative and distibuted cracking tool (suitable
 for the contest)

Since the time I participated in CrackMeIfYouCan the idea to make
john-users team to win it is stuck to me.

There are different kinds of victory requirements: hi personal skills
of members, easy collaboration, easy distribution, big rough hardware
power, fast cracking software, good workflow to make cracking
intelligent.

All of these factors could be improved by software and/or preparation.
For instance, hi personal skills needed to write john rules could be
lowered using helper software with tips, ability to try new rules
easily, rules auto creation or assistance based on examples. Easy
collaboration could be achieved using special software with social
features like collaborative attack editing, voting for attacks to be
used, easy reviewing. And so on.

I would like to emphasize social (wiki-like) features to improve
collaboration and transparent fully automated distribution built into
the system. Also I would like to see helper scripts for attack
development there.

I have developed some scripts to help in password patterns search and
quality measurement after the contest. Announce:
http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2011/08/09/3

I think such tool could be interesting not only for contest but also
for pentesting companies that have a lot of hashes (from different
places) to crack in a limited time with different priorities having
several pentesters.

I know that distribution is a demanded feature and is valuable just
alone. So maybe it is reasonable to split it from other things.

What do you think?

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov