Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 08:00:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: vncpcap2john.cpp + Mac OS X

Erik, Dhiru -

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 06:03:47PM -0400, Erik Winkler wrote:

> > Regarding #define _BSD_SOURCE, you must do it as the very first thing
> > (before the very first #include), whereas #define __FAVOR_BSD has a
> > tends to work even if specified in-between the #include directives (yet
> > is a wrong thing to do and may result in problems).  My guess is that
> > you tried placing #define _BSD_SOURCE after some #include directive.
>
> That is where I put it, before any #include statements.  I get the structure errors since the BSD structure is different from the standard Linux structure.  Only _FAVOR_BSD fixes this issue.

I think I figured it out.  glibc's features.h does:

/* If _BSD_SOURCE was defined by the user, favor BSD over POSIX.  */
#if defined _BSD_SOURCE && \
    !(defined _POSIX_SOURCE || defined _POSIX_C_SOURCE || \
      defined _XOPEN_SOURCE || defined _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED || \
      defined _GNU_SOURCE || defined _SVID_SOURCE)
# define __FAVOR_BSD    1
#endif

So it ignores _BSD_SOURCE if another _*_SOURCE is defined - and plenty
of those are defined by default for C++.  The problem should be gone
when we move to plain C.

Arguably, it is a shortcoming of glibc that there's no valid way to use
the BSD structs from C++ programs.

Alexander