Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 01:38:54 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GSoC project - GUI for John the Ripper

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 08:48:14PM +0100, Kamil Neczaj wrote:
> I have read about GUI writing task for John the Ripper on openwall's web
> page. There is information: "work was started by Shinnok and Aleksey
> Cherepanov" on the wiki. Are they working on the GUI now, or rather had
> done a part and abandoned it?

It's something in-between.  Aleksey has code that I think he should just
release in a tarball for people to try out (which will help us decide on
further direction for the project), but somehow he is not doing that
despite of my suggestion that he should do it with no further delay.
Meanwhile, the code may be obtained via git:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/johnny

git clone git://github.com/AlekseyCherepanov/johnny.git

As it relates to GSoC, Aleksey is welcome to apply (preferably along
with making and announcing that tarball thing finally), and others may
apply as well.  Then we'll have to make the tough decision on whether to
work on this under GSoC 2012 (I am already seeing some interest in this
task, which is great), and who will be the one to work on it (under
GSoC, we can't have more than one student work on the same project; we
may have two students work on two different approaches to the GUI
independently, but we're unlikely to use GSoC resources like that).

BTW, here's one of the ideas for further functionality of the GUI:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/01/19/4

and Aleksey's thoughts on it:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2012/01/21/8

Please let us know if you have a specific proposal (not for this one
idea, but for the GUI project in general).

Thanks,

Alexander