Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 06:41:07 +0400
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2012 (GSoC)

As many of you are aware, Openwall participated in Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) last year.  We worked with 5 students under the GSoC program, we
got useful stuff done (with some of it being in mainline Linux kernels
and in released versions of John the Ripper now), and we met new people
some of whom are now involved with our projects.

So we're going to do it again: Openwall is a mentoring organization for
Google Summer of Code 2012.

Here's our ideas page (includes ideas on Owl, John the Ripper, and more):

(Some updates to the ideas list are forthcoming.)

For those not familiar with Google Summer of Code:

Nmap project ( summarizes GSoC as follows:
"This innovative and extraordinarily generous program provides $5,000
stipends to 1,000+ college and graduate students to create and enhance
open source software during their summer break.  Students gain valuable
experience, get paid, strengthen their resume, and write code which will
be distributed freely and used by millions of people!"

We'd like to hear from students interested in working on any of the
ideas or on their own "creative and relevant idea".  Per GSoC 2012
timeline, students now have 10 days to approach us (and/or other GSoC
mentoring organizations) to informally discuss and propose projects, and
then another 10 days to apply under the GSoC program formally:

March 17-25:
Would-be student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring

March 26:
Student application period opens.

April 6:
Student application deadline.

Please do contact us if you're interested.