Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:33:08 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Forget it, it is working now [was Help on SHA-512]

Unless I misinterpreted Solar, ALGORITHM_NAME should be "OpenCL" (or
something more specific if applicable) while FORMAT_NAME should be eg.
"crypt SHA-512" but not contain OpenCL. That is how it's done in most
SSE2/MMX formats.

Yes, that preferred multiple can sometimes speed up things a lot for LWS
enumeration on CPU but no format use it yet. Actually, what is even more
important is that if I say "KPC=8192 LWS=0" you should enumerate LWS
using a KPC of 8192. Otherwise this enumeration could take half an hour
or more on CPU.

ssha-opencl will do that, and I think it is the best OpenCL template
right now. I have an experimental branch that moves the enumeration to
opencl-common (and also use best multiple) but it's not finished and
only tested on CPU. It currently uses the OS timer instead of ocl
profiling because it uses the format's set_salt(), set_key() and
crypt_all() just like a normal benchmark.

magnum