Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 08:14:10 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CFLAGS="-march=native" sometimes unsupported

On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 05:06:25PM -0500, Richard Farina wrote:
> The issue stems from having CFLAGS which support my architecture but
> building the generic target.  This is fixed by "make linux-x86-64-avx".

Great.

You should indeed be using these -avx and -xop targets where appropriate.

However, if a C compiler happens to have AVX (or even XOP) enabled by
default, that should not prevent other make targets from working.  So I
might try to reproduce your build errors later.

For now, my guess remains that the targets would in fact work if
-march=native were implied, but did not work because you somehow
modified the CFLAGS in this way for _some_ source files only.  I simply
have no other explanation, although of course this guess might be wrong.

> Sorry for decreasing the signal to noise ratio on the list.

You did not.

Thanks,

Alexander