Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 13:00:15 +0100
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CUDA & OpenCL status

On 03/04/12 04:30, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 02:47:03AM +0100, magnum wrote:
>> Try using APP AMD 2.5 instead and I think you'll get rid of it.
>
> This didn't help.
>
> However, I noticed that when I am not logged in on the Ubuntu system
> locally (only logging in via SSH), I am able to get OpenCL CPU
> benchmarks:

that's because you are using OpenCL-CPU rather than OpenCL-GPU,

> OpenCL Platform: <<<AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing>>> 1
device(s), using device: <<<AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor

if you log with ssh in to the system and do a
sudo modprobe nvidia

before launching john you should have 2 opencl platforms available,
in that case you could choose which one to use.

to enable AMD GPU you need to have an gdm/kdm/xdm autologin in the
systema and log with that user .

About the sem_wait bug many reported it's a problem related about
having OpenCL/OpenGL linked with nvidia too; i'm quite confident
with Debian and i removed all dependencies with OpenCL/OpenGL nvidia
card on my system yet the problem still present, i guess it's something
more but i can't find if it's debian or AMD related.

Cheers
Samuele