Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 15:41:21 +0100
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [OT] AMD vs xorg  (was  OpenCL errors )

On 02/29/12 15:07, Claudio André wrote:
> Hi
>
> On the notebook I first tried the AMD Catalyst drivers i get at the AMD
> site. Everything was ok, except, OpenCL. So i tried the driver provided
> by Ubuntu and it simply worked. I know it shouldn't, but it happened.
> I'm using what worked and was selectec/provided by Canonical.
>
> I noticed there are some OpenCL files provided by the video driver, and
> they are not overriden by 2.6 SDK. Maybe one of these 2.5 SDK files is
> helping in the sem_wait area, even after i installed the 2.6 SDK.
>
> I tried and It works fine on 2.5.
>
> My opinion, AMD should test everything better. Meanwhile, forget about
> SDK 2.6.

I'm changing the topic because this is a non related john question:
the problem rising with AMD are related to xorg and their continuous
changes in the abi driver.

this means that the driver amd is providing at the moment is compatible
with latest xorg (available in debian sid but not in ubuntu 11.10) ,
however xorg was smart enough to change another time: as a results Xv
with fglrx at the moment is broken.

yes AMD at the moment is lacking on testing and their resources for open
source are limited, on the other way there are people deliberately
not helping amd (sending tickets, forwarding bugs) because they are
sponsoring the community driver, which at the moment doesn't support
OpenCL, doesn't support glx so well and it's unable to keep my gpu
cold.

sorry for my rants, but i think this should be posted so people know
what's the gpu situation at the moment and this is not really helping.
Even atom had to stop oclhashcat for 7970 due to missing driver for linux.

Cheers
Samuele