Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 23:33:32 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: CUDA running on multiple cards

I'm hammering you with GPU questions now :)

What would it take to make use of multiple graphic cards in one JtR
session? Would that need a complete re-write and a new design, or do you
get some things "for free" or with help from the toolkit (like in OMP,
where we just add a #pragma and voila, we have parallel processing)?

And second, isn't there any kind of resource protection? I tried running
cRARk and then started a John session. The cRARk session died (out of
memory) and the John session crashed.

Could a format detect that there are multiple cards, and pick one that
is not already used?

If nothing else, I'd like CUDA to support the --gpu=N option that OpenCL
has in JtR, if possible. cRARk lacks that option btw, it always runs on
first card.

magnum