Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 20:26:56 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: OpenCL woes

I noticed that although all OpenCL formats pass test suite, they do not
pass an all-formats -test (or -test=0).

This works fine:
for i in ssha-opencl raw-md5-opencl nt-opencl raw-sha1-opencl
cryptmd5-opencl phpass-opencl mysql-sha1-opencl; do ../run/john -test
-form:$i ; done

But using -test=0 (and no --format) it ends up starving and sooner or
later it crashes with CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE. On my cheap
9600GT card this happens already at the 2nd OpenCL format. On the
GTX280, it crashes at mysql but I strongly suspect it would crash at
another format if I re-ordered them in john.c.

I'm not sure this can be fixed without introducing a format destructor?

Also, I still can't run cryptmd5-opencl at all on the 9600GT. Maybe it's
just too weak/old/cheap? It's a lot slower than the GTX280 anyway.

magnum