Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 04:57:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: copyright and license statements

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 06:28:58PM -0600, jfoug wrote:
> Since you are Russian, and the software 'originated' from Russia,

BTW, I think Romain's contribution originated from France:
http://syscall.eu/romain/

> then why does US law play into play here???

My understanding is that when one uses/redistributes/whatever JtR, their
local copyright law applies - and a large percentage of JtR users are in
the US (more than e.g. in Russia, I guess).  Also, due to international
treaties, copyright laws of many countries are quite similar now.  That
said, as I wrote "things may vary by jurisdiction."

> Is it due to where GPL is licensed?

No.

Alexander