Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 00:45:27 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Recent github patches

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 09:19:19PM +0100, magnum wrote:
> * HMAC-SHA1 format added
> * HMAC-SHA256 format added

Why these two, but not HMAC-SHA512?  I am just wondering.

> * Experimental support for running "closed loop" - i.e. wordlist mode
> with a .pot file as input. We might want better dupe supression (to
> memory buffer), possibly reusing "unique" code. The current code only
> supresses consecutive dupes (just as for any wordlist file).

In fact, I thought of optionally using the "unique" code in wordlist mode
regardless of where the input comes from.  However, I am concerned that
if changes this invasive are first made in -jumbo, it will deviate from
the main tree's code too far.  Ideally, I should find time and implement
this in the main tree first... but it's not something I'll have time for
any time soon (got other priorities, including for JtR).

Thanks,

Alexander