Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:12:27 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenCL vs Test Suite

On 01/27/2012 08:40 PM, Samuele Giovanni Tonon wrote:
> On 01/27/12 00:46, magnum wrote:
>> I did not notice some formats have a lower max size than SSE2
>> ones. Hopefully, some of the formats are OK! But ssha-opencl is not :)
>>
> yes ssha-opencl is setted to have password up to 15 chars; this due to
> to speed issue on opencl; however you can switch plaintext_length to
> 32 and there shouldn't be problem .
>
> one question; on a general side, what is the perfect PLAINTEXT_LENGTH
> value ? 32 is it good enough ?

IMHO yes. On the other hand, how/why is it a bottleneck? If you support
55, but run a crack session with only short (eg. 8 characters)
candidates, is it still a bottleneck? Most intrinsics formats are
limited to 55 byte crypts (for eg. NT, that is just 27 characters)
because beyond that you need to do another crypt call. Good or bad, it's
a very logical limit.

If merely *supporting* longer is always slower and you can't work around
it, I could live with even shorter than 32 - possibly even 16.

magnum