Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:39:21 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: OpenCL vs Test Suite

I understand that you understand the inner workings, helpings and
limitations of the ts, since it was many ideas we had together that helped
to get the ts to what it is today.

I was more putting info out to the devs / users of john, who have yet to
start to use the ts, so that they would start to realize the help and power
that can be obtained from the ts, even if we find problems with it, and need
to tweak it to work with certain builds of john I had not developed it for
(like the MPI / OpenCL, OMP, etc, etc). It certainly is far from perfect.
But it does have a lot of power.  Same can be said of john's internal
testing code.  It too is pretty powerful.  I doubt a developer would release
a format which could not pass the 'self test' code.  But as we both know the
self test has way too many holes that issues can slide through