Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 15:39:37 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: copyright and license statements

magnum -

I noticed that you started using "No Rights Reserved" lately.  I think
it'd be better for us to have fewer different wordings of this in the
JtR source code.  Specifically, I'd appreciate it if you switch to the
wording recommended here:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/licensing

That is, make it something like:

---
This software is Copyright (c) 2012 magnum, and it is hereby released to
the general public under the following terms:

modification, are permitted.
---

If you really want to shorten it, you can use:

---
Copyright (c) 2012 magnum

modification, are permitted.
---

This is still longer than your "No Rights Reserved", but it is
unambiguous and it is a clear subset of the BSD license with only
restrictive clauses removed.

Alexander