Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 22:08:58 +0530
From: Piyush Mittal <piyush.cse29@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Bit slice implementation of DES based hashes

Hello,

Earlier I thought function DES_bs_get_binary() is simply converting cipher
text into binary form but some more tasks are also associated with it.Can
you please elaborate me what actually this function is trying to do?
However I tried to understand it but specifically I am not getting some
portion of DES_raw_get_binary() linked with it. i.e

if (ciphertext[13]) ofs = 9; else ofs = 2;

    block[0] = block[1] = 0;
    dst = 0;
    for (chr = 0; chr < 11; chr++) {
        value = DES_atoi64[ARCH_INDEX(ciphertext[chr + ofs])];
        mask = 0x20;

        for (src = 0; src < 6; src++) {
            if (value & mask)
                block[dst >> 5] |= 1 << (dst & 0x1F);
            mask >>= 1;
            dst++;
        }
    }

Why here ciphertexr[13] is taken and ignored first 8 bit of cipher text.Is
that because of optimisation (i.e we don't need to compare whole of cipher
text).

Also I have seen Matthew Kwan's code and in that he have not used initial
permutation for Bit slicing DES then what is the concept behind using IP
here in binary function code?

--
Piyush Mittal
National Institute of Technology,Rourkela

Content of type "text/html" skipped