Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:41:07 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9-jumbo

On 12/18/2011 05:46 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
> magnum -
>
> Re-introducing the two "&&  md4_size<  PLAINTEXT_LENGTH" checks restores
> almost the original performance.  I suspect that the "target<  targetEnd"
> were needed as well.  We probably incur extra loop iterations on --test
> without these.  I don't know whether this affects actual cracking runs as
> well or not.

Memory comes back to me now... for the non-utf8 versions of set_key(),
the 1.7.8 code was buggy. It truncated at 28 instead of 27 (but this was
only a problem when running external mode). I have a patch somewhere
that I can post soon, that re-introduces the tests as if external.c was
not truncating, but that does it in a more effective way - and properly
at max length. And if 1.7.8 would still be a tad faster after that, I
will just say that's because it was buggy.

For set_key_utf8(), the code present in jumbo-5 has got to be faster
than 1.7.8, and now properly truncates at 27. In UTF-8 mode we must
always take care of truncation since the "reported" max length is 3x27.
Try running "-test -enc:utf8" comparing 178J8 and 179J5, that's a quick
test only including Unicode formats.

magnum