Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 09:41:45 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: .bss size in -jumbo

2011-11-29 22:21, jfoug wrote:
> I have found that many of these also required a memset of zero. I am
> not sure if the build was special (the problem I found was in a
> win32-cygwin-x86-sse2 build).
>
> Thus, I will be putting out a new memset after alloc patch, if magnum
> does not beat me to it.

I don't object to the memsets at all (and I could reproduce the problem
on a couple of OMP build targets), but I really wonder what is the
culprit. I picked mschapv2 as an example and reviewed the code again. In
no place does it assume any of the arrays is zeroed. I almost want to
debug this, out of curiosity. It's easy now - I could change the memset
to fill with 0xAA instead :-)

magnum