Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:29:28 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: 1.7.9-jumbo (was: 1.7.9 release date)

>Back to the original topic, I think it could also make sense to generate
>a 1.7.8-jumbo-9 - to have it in case we need to debug some issue later
>and to move most of my reviews to this stage, without anyone having to
>update the existing individual patches for 1.7.9.  Then update that
>entire patch for 1.7.9.

1.7.8-j9 could be done by running 0001 to 0030 in order.  There has been
work beyond that, but I am not sure it is 'ready'.  Magnum, Simon and I are
working on SHA1 in SSEi, using a smaller input buffer size (16 DWORD per
candidate, vs 80 DWORD per candidate we have today).   But that one likely
is not prime time.  We still have some work to do, and then likely have
changes to make to the arch.h files for the different environs, once we
figure out what works best for each.

>BTW, for the icc-generated assembly files, I need PGP signatures from
magnum I guess.

Also, it is possible that there may be some additional icc asm files in the
future.  Magnum lists mscash1 as a likely candidate.  Much faster if built
with icc.  So, it will likely be that I modify the underline adding perl
script, so that it is 'generic'.  It may be possible to add signing somehow
in this script, so that it is done automatically.  If nothing else, we could
email you with a hash of the file(s), so you can quick check to make sure
they are what we expect them to be.

Jim.