Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 17:14:12 +0100
From: Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: best way to get ciphertext

On 11/21/11 15:34, Lukas Odzioba wrote:
> 2011/11/21 Samuele Giovanni Tonon <samu@...uxasylum.net>:
>> since it looks like binary is not available inside crypt_all
>> (because not yet setted?)  i'm wondering which is best to do to solve
>> the problem which in the end is quite simple:
>> is there a good way to crypt and compare at the same time using the same
>> function or shall i go with some nasty hacks ?
>> Has anyone found similar problem on other formats ?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Samuele
>>

> I think that void *binary seen by cmp_all and crypt_all can be
> different places in memory.
> See fmt_self_test() in formats.c.
> Meaby you should call binary() value inside crypt_all - after some
> tricks it should work without additional cost.

for what i've seen there's no way to get ciphertext value before one
of the cmp_??? functions .

i've tried an ugly hack to get ciphertext from get_salt, which is
usually called before crypt_all ; i did a

memcpy(crypted_key,realcipher,BINARY_SIZE);

inside get_salt() to save on a "local" variable that has been declared
inside the fmt_plug.c file .

this works nicely on the initial test, but after that crypted_key keeps
on remaing a default value and never change; i suspect i'm not reading
real data but just "gibberish" .

i wish i could call binary() but i need ciphertext which is available
only at a "superior" layer.

any idea ?

Regards
Samuele