Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:28:08 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: hmacMD5 and sse-intrisics.c  (Bartavelle, please look
 at this).

2011-11-18 11:05, Simon Marechal wrote:
> On 18/11/2011 09:38, magnum wrote:
>> I may be daft but I do not get this. If I add a couple of zero-length
>> updates to generic MD4 (or MD5 or SHA1), like this:
>>
>> 	MD4_Init(&ctx);
>> 	MD4_Update(&ctx, "", 0);
>> 	MD4_Update(&ctx, saved_key, saved_key_length);
>> 	MD4_Update(&ctx, "", 0);
>> 	MD4_Final((unsigned char *)crypt_out, &ctx);
>
> Here the body function might only be called once if the length is low
> enough. 0 Length updates should be noops. You can convince youself of
> this by looking at the update function or just dumping the ctx.
>
>> this is md4(''.key.'') so it still produces the same hash as before. But
>> when I do this to SSEmd4body (patches 26 & 28 applied of course), it
>> does not work.
>>
>> 	SSEmd4body(saved_key2, (unsigned int *)crypt_key, 1);
>> 	SSEmd4body(saved_key, (unsigned int *)crypt_key, 0);
>> 	SSEmd4body(saved_key2, (unsigned int *)crypt_key, 0);
>
> In this case, you are calling the body function trice. The "classic" API
> (init, update, final) is of higher level than what is exposed with the
> intrinsics API, where you basically only have the body function and have
> to emulate the behaviour of the update function.

OK, bare with me now. The above makes sense. But, then, how can hmac-md5
work as it is written now? In non-SSE mode, it is performed this way
(first half of hmac):

	MD5_Init( &ctx );
	MD5_Update( &ctx, ipad, 64 );
	MD5_Update( &ctx, cursalt, strlen( (char *) cursalt) );
	MD5_Final( (unsigned char *) crypt_key, &ctx);

I have no problem with that. But the current SSE code do the exact same
thing like this:

	SSEmd5body(ipad, ((unsigned int *)dump), 1);
	SSEmd5body(cursalt, ((unsigned int *)dump), 0);

...and this works. So, in SSE we call the body function twice, as you
put it, while the non-SSE does not. How come this is not a problem here?

magnum