Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:22:27 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: md5_gen tagging

JimF (or anyone with a thought),

I can't remember this having been discussed: NT hashes can be bare or
tagged (or a mix) in input files, but they are stored *with* a tag in
john.pot regardless, and non-NT hashes in john.pot will never be used
when loading NT hashes.

But md5_gen/dynamic hashes are not stored with the tag unless the tag
were there in the input file. Maybe this is because at some point in
time, the tag was always needed in the input file?

I really think the md5_gen/dynamic format should be changed, so it
always writes the tag to the pot file. For backwards compatibility, it
would need to keep supporting (old) bare hashes in the pot file - but
that could (imho should) be an option in john.conf.

Wouldn't this be a pretty trivial fix in split()? Or is it complicated
by the multi personality of the format? If so, I suppose at least all
thin formats (eg. raw-md5 and raw-md5u) could do this on their own. But
I haven't tried it yet.

magnum