Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:01:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <>
Subject: Re: new DES key setup

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 08:47:13AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> The next step would be integrating OpenMP for DES in one official way,
> getting rid of the -omp-des-4 vs. -omp-des-7 patches.

So I did that.  I'd appreciate it if folks in here test the current
stuff (do a CVS checkout or take native.tar.gz from Owl-current) and
report any issues (or lack thereof).  To be specific, I am referring to
code with JtR version number set to

The new code is supposed to be as good as either of the old patches, for
both many salts and one/few salts.  There are some other improvements as
well - e.g., "single crack" with OpenMP should behave better than it did
with the patches, status updates during cracking of BSDI-style hashes
should no longer be delayed much, and there's no longer a dependency on
OpenMP 3+.  The new code should also compile with an OpenMP 2.5 only
compiler, which in GCC terms means version 4.2+ should do, not 4.4+,
which was required for the patches.  (But I only tested with 4.5.0 so far.)

CVS checkout instructions: