Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:48:36 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Request for suggestions (change of md5-gen)

I am going to start on one of the wish list items.  That is to 'change'
md5-gen to some other string.

I think I will really take the bull by the horns, and change pretty much all
signatures, and even the file names.  All of the existing generic 'script'
functions used in john.conf files, will still be valid (but deprecated).
Also the 'existing' md5_gen(#) signatures will work, both in input files,
and in john.pot.

I believe that I will change all of the MD5GenBaseFunc__* signatures to be
GenericFunc__*

I believe one of these, for the format 'line' is good:

$gen#$

gen_#_

gen#$

gen(#)

We could also replace gen with generic for any of the above lines.  These
signatures are not entered on the command line, so do not have the
'problems' with command line quoting.  If someone wants to 'vote' on the
right one, then by all means speak up.   My choice is the last one, but
'any' of them would do.

The question I have is this:   what should we change the current md5_gen(#)
signature to ON the command line:  It could be something simple:  gen# (or
generic#), or gen.# or gen_#, etc, etc.  I would like it to look decent, be
something that people would understand, and likely be something that
somewhat 'lines up' with the data lines written out in the john.pot file (or
input files).

If people have any wants, requests for how this is implemented, speak up.

Jim.

Content of type "text/html" skipped