Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:52:03 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Emit a status line at every cracked password

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 07:07:50PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> When playing with the CRC-32 format I got this idea that I wanted a
> status line output automagically at every crack. Very trivial patch. I
> named the argument --crack-status so it doesn't mess with any old
> abbreviation.

Shouldn't this be a john.conf setting instead?

Also, if we export the number of guesses as an external mode variable,
then it will be possible to do something like:

int prev_guesses;

void filter()
{
	if (guesses == prev_guesses)
		return;
	status = 1;
	prev_guesses = guesses;
}

("status" is already exported in current CVS tree.)

Of course, this will have performance impact, which may be significant
for some uses.  So I don't oppose having a john.conf setting to enable
status printing on guesses.

Oh, or we could introduce a new external mode function that is only
invoked on a successful guess.  So we'd do:

void on_guess()
{
	status = 1;
}

and it would have no performance impact.

Another reasonable thing could be to print status on guesses, but only
if at least one second elapsed since the previous status line printed.
We could even have this enabled by default - or maybe make it the only
new behavior?

Alexander