Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:42:05 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Fork=n

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 4:18 PM, magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net> wrote:
> I just recently got hold of that code and I don't even have any
> documentation at all. Is there any? How did you use -fork?
I did:   john.exe hashes.txt --fork=8
I never tried node, though others did. An of course you could apply
all the other augments too (format,rules,chr...)

--node=MIN[-MAX]/COUNT    this node's number range out of total count
--fork=COUNT              fork this many processes
--node=1/8 --fork=4   <- on one quad-core machine, uses node nums 1-4
--node=5/8 --fork=4   <- on another quad-core machine, uses nums 5-8

That is about all I know of how to USE fork, no idea how it was coded,
but it was coded in a short time. The issue was that not all the threads
(if that's the right word) were updating the Pot file unless a sighup was
sent, or the cracking ended, even then I don't think it wrote all the ones
it cracked, at least not on win32.Restore was a problem too, and that
I believe was to be expected.
-rich