Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 21:05:20 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Patch for dynamically loaded formats

David,

For -jumbo-6, I am trying to get your dynamic plugins stuff in, but not
any of the VMS stuff yet.  Does this make sense?

I introduced -DHAVE_DL and -ldl into all linux-* targets (for now), and
I have "#ifdef HAVE_DL" in many places in the code.

Apparently, you did not actually test the patch against -jumbo, since
register_dlls() would fail on its "bug check".  In -jumbo, when it is
invoked with no options, john_register_all() is first called before
parsing of command-line options, and thus before the list of DLLs is
initialized.  I added an "if (options.fmt_dlls)" before the call.

I also added a line to the usage instructions printed by "john" (only
when HAVE_DL is defined).

Now the thing compiles, and having this extra code in does not appear to
hurt.  I have no idea if the plugins actually work - I assume you or
someone else will give this a try once I release the next -jumbo-6 RC
or -jumbo-6 proper.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Alexander