Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 11:45:38 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Faster (and better) duplicate rule removal code

I have added a patch to the wiki (0002 for Jumbo-6-rc2), which improves the
rules reduction code significantly.  The older reduction code was a O(n^2)
that I quickly had hacked together.  The new version, uses a hash list, and
should operate in O(n) time.  Also, I added logic into the rules_reject()
function to handle rpp codes in the 'rule-rejection' elimination part.
Before, something like -c or -: worked fine, but -[c:] would cause the
rules_reject() to return NULL.  That has been fixed.

The current rule-duplicate removal code is far from perfect.  It will miss
removing dupes, such as   Az"123"  and Az.123.   Or miss, $1 and Az"1"
There are likely others.  However, it DOES remove a lot of duplication,
which is actually expected, when you start to include other sections, to
build 'super' sections.

As for a 'dupe', Solar, what is the difference, in reality from Al"123" and
Az"123"  ?   (the lower cased L)  They seem to be somewhat interchangeable.
If used with the Ax"val", val is always appended to the current building
word.  Is there 'any' difference?

Jim.

[ CONTENT OF TYPE text/html SKIPPED ]