Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:22:44 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Ancient MPI bugs squashed

Bu pure coincidence I found a bug or two in incremental MPI code. It
took me several hours to understand what happened. All the time since
Ryan Lim's original patch from 2003, it has erroneously skipped a number
of "blocks" of candidates at the very beginning (depending on the number
of MPI nodes). These blocks are relatively small, so the real impact has
been very minor from what I can tell.

However, the bug (or another bug, but from same line of code) also made
resuming skip blocks in a similar way - and when resuming, these blocks
can be huge compared to the initial ones.

I don't fully understand inc.c but I believe my 0006 patch addresses
both problems. I had test cases that triggered the problem and "showed"
what happened, and after my fix everything behaves as expected. I
haven't really verified resuming though. That fix was just from dry running.

magnum