Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 18:28:29 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: john-1.7.8-mscashcuda-0.diff

Lukas,

I've just spent a few minutes with john-1.7.8-mscashcuda-0.diff.
Unfortunately, it does not work for me:

[user@...alhost src]$ time ../run/john -te -fo=mscashcuda
Benchmarking: MSCASHCUDA []... FAILED (get_hash[0](0))

real    0m0.681s
user    0m0.009s
sys     0m0.509s

I guess it might be something similar to the issue with
john-1.7.8-allcuda-0.2.diff, where 3 of 4 hash types fail for me, but
work for you.  You mentioned it's related to GPU family differences, and
that you know how to fix it, so I think you don't need additional detail.

Another thing I noticed is that the valid() function is unreliable: it
doesn't handle the case when strrchr() returns NULL, and it uses a char
expression as array subscript (should use the ARCH_INDEX() macro there).

I guess that's normal for a patch that you haven't even announced in
here yet, and I hope you'll provide and announce a revised version soon.

The 20k c/s you mentioned (on the wiki) you're getting on your card
sounds good to me.

Oh, and I think you need to rename s/mscash/mscash2/g everything in this
patch (and its name).

Thanks,

Alexander