Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 22:02:48 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Aleksey's Status Report - #14 of 15

This is my 14 status report.

During last week I implemented basic support for -format, -subformat options
and for mode selection options. I totally redesigned options page.
Though it seems I overloaded it a bit so when I would add more options
I would split it into 'options' and 'modes'. Now it is split in such
two sections but both of them are on one page. However now I would
like to go with settings and other stuff because there are a lot of things
about design that should be changed, and I think 'changed later' during
polish.

Currently there are following modes supported: default behaviour
(without keys at all), "single crack", wordlist, "incremental" and
external modes. Markov is left for future changes. Are that all modes
available?

I made short descriptions/tips for each mode. I think they should help
an user. However they are always visible. I think it would be good to
make an ability to disable this through settings.

Question: "incremental" mode was called brute-force mode. Now it is
call '"Incremental" mode'. Should I keep such name? Or make something
like '"Incremental" mode (brute-force)'? Or original name? Or else?

HDD on computer used by me last two weeks gives errors. I think/hope it
was just overheated because it was hot when I touched it. Fortunately I
pushed all my changes yesterday and today I did only emails. So I am happy
with git. However I think to do pushes more often.

I plan to continue with adding settings. Then I think to add status
as part of statistics (for now it would be instead of statistics;
I think statistics to be something like most often password and
so on, maybe I am wrong). Then I hope to solve important todos
spread over the code, clean up unimplemented parts and make a release
to take feedback.

Priorities:
settings,
status,