Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:00:51 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Fixes to non-hash formats

I have placed a new patch onto the wiki (0006).  This has several things in
it (all are non-hash related).

Fixed memory leaks in a couple formats.  The PDF still keeps 5 strings
allocated, but it is just the last set of data run. There was no good way to
clean this up in the end of a run.  The fix was to properly free things up,
prior to reallocation during the run.  This was a reported bug, from the
recent contest.

Fixed a memory read problem in pdf (and a memory leak).  The salt was
allocating a buffer the size of the data, but john always reads the data of
the size listed in the format.  The fix was to have a static buffer, of
proper size. This fixes both issues (the leak, and the memory reading
problem).  This was one of the main reasons I had commented this out for
MSVC. In debugging mode, I was getting crashes, and at the time did not have
time to research why.  After fixing this to be a large enough buffer, this
problem goes away.

Removed the #ifndef _MSC_VER stuff around the non-formats in john.c, so
these now again works for me in MSVC.

Created a stdbool.h (similar to the stdint.h we already have), so that
systems without it will work properly.  This was an issue on sparc and VC,
and I think MinGW.

Moved all variable declarations to the start of the block of code
(portability issue)

Jim.

Content of type "text/html" skipped