Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 01:42:37 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: User-defined character class

On 2011-08-10 19:40, magnum wrote:
> # A user defined character class is named with a
> # single digit, ie. 0..9
> [UserClasses]
> 0 = áóúéíý
> 1 = €£$€¥
> 7 = [0-9a-fA-F]
>
> [List.Rules.Example]
> %4?7Ap"[\\0]x"
>

> Naturally, ?7 would match any of 0123456789abcdefABCDEF. The brackets
> are not really needed for parsing but it may be more logical to the user
> if it's close to the rules pp syntax.

First draft done, and posted.

> Should the rules engine 'die' if an undefined class is used? I think so.

It does now anyway.

> I'm not sure that example rule would do exactly what I intended, lol

It did not. This one does what I intended (not that it is very useful):

%4?1vap2Aa"[\\0]x"

That is, I had to decrement p by 2. That was a bit unintuitive to me but
I'm sure there are clever thoughts behind it (it use to be).

BTW, I 'had' to add support for entering characters like \xDF in order
for this to be really useful. We discussed this feature for rules too,
long ago. IIRC the syntax for rules would have to be something else?

magnum