Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 23:23:51 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: issues with 1.7.8-jumbo-5

On 2011-08-03 20:06, Solar Designer wrote:
> On a linux-x86-64 build, I am getting a segfault when using --stdin
> or --pipe along with a large NT hash file.  With a 100k entry file, the
> segfault occurs before the very last password would be cracked.  With a
> 1M entry file, it appears to occur a bit sooner (occurs instantly when I
> already have 900k+ of cracked hashes in john.pot).  Need to similarly
> test -jumbo-4 to see if it's a new bug...

I could reproduce this:

1. created an NT test file from the cp1251 lower.gz from openwall (93k
entries)
2. ran John against this file, using the rockyou list as dictionary

Segfault before one single hash was cracked. When I first tried it using
the same lower.gz as dictionary, all was good and everything was cracked.

Does not happen with jumbo-2 so this is likely something Jim introduced
when implementing -pipe. I hope it's an easy one, the -pipe option is
awesome!

magnum