Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 14:47:51 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: John and Code pages (and a new tutorial)

I have added quite a few new code pages (all of them from the wiki wish
list).  I have not fully tested them yet, so have not released a patch.

In this patch will be these CP

cp437

cp737

cp866

cp850

cp1252

iso-8859-15

I have also made a few changes in the code, to help stream line the process.

Speaking of "the process", there is now a wiki tutorial, on how to properly
add a CP to john.   This tutorial page is at:
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/tutorials/add-codepage  In this tut, there is
a perl script (compute code page), listed as living in ./run directory of
john.  Well, until I get the patch tested and released this script file will
not 'live' in the john run directory.  So, this perl script is being
attached to this email, so that others can use it, or look at it if they
want to.

This perl script (cmpt_cp.pl) is written to produce the To/From Unicode
array, and also produce two arrays (with 2 others optional) of character
data used in case conversions, and character classifications.

The script also lists STRANGE characters which will need to be looked at by
human.  So far, 0xDF is one of these characters, and this one has been
talked about recently on the john-dev mailing list. Also, in CP850 0xD1
(which ends up being U+0131) is another of these characters.  These may be
chars which convert to multiple characters, or is one of them which upcase
<-> lowcase does not produce the same character.  Again, these will have to
be handled case by case, by hand.

The script will also list code pages which the low characters (0x00 to 0x7F)
do not map into the 'standard' ASCII character set.   At this time, there is
nothing in the procedure on how to deal with these code pages.  It may be
very simple to do, but I have not tested out anything (yet).

Jim.

Content of type "text/html" skipped

Download attachment "cmpt_cp.pl" of type "application/octet-stream" (3874 bytes)