Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 15:41:25 -0500
From: "JFoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Plugin formats "released"

I believe PLUGFORMATS_SRCS: sh =echo *_plug.c works.  However, we need to
either make sure this DOES NOT work (gives a blank) on gmake, or if it does
work, we remvoe the wildcard rule right below it.  The reason we had 2, is
the 'normal' documented way for this to work did not in sparc.

I was wrong about PLUGFORMATS_SRCS = $(wildcard *_plug.c)   make handles
that with no problem on sparc.  However, the PLUGFMT_SRC is empty.  The +=
does not matter.  During the assignment it also fails to actually work (but
does not crap out).  I think the first thing magnum found and tried was the
shell or something like that.  That one caused sparc make to go belly up.
the wildcard rule allows sparc make to continue, but all of the *_plug.c are
not converted into .o depends.

NOTE to people following along with the patch flurry.  0006 has problems for
me (non SSE builds).

gcc -c -Wall -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -I/usr/local/include  -Wall -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2
 -m32 -funroll-loops NT_fmt_plug.c
NT_fmt_plug.c: In function `get_key':
NT_fmt_plug.c:784: error: `ret_Key' undeclared (first use in this function)
NT_fmt_plug.c:784: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
NT_fmt_plug.c:784: error: for each function it appears in.)
NT_fmt_plug.c:784: error: too many arguments to function `utf16toplain'
make[1]: *** [NT_fmt_plug.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/cygdrive/d/phpbb/johnripper/john-1.7.8/john-1.7.8-jumbo-4b/src'
make: *** [win32-mingw-x86-any] Error 2

So it is likely we need to wait on it, until magnum gets it fixed.   I am
working on getting the make rules working and simplified on sparc/or/gmake,
so will simply back out 0006 for now.  However, I will certainly want it in
there, when testing to make sure the changes are all happy for BE and
aligned systems (sparc is great for testing that).

Jim.