Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:04:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: patches page update

Jim, magnum -

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 01:28:44PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 2011-07-24 11:50, JFoug wrote:
> >I have uploaded a patch, that fixes many things. This patch is on wiki.
> >The description of th patch pretty much tells what was added/fixed.
>
> I just uploaded a 0005 patch that fixes a couple problems with Jim's
> 0004 patch (misspelled koi8-r, missing validation of encoding parameter
> and a compiler warning).
>
> I tested iso-8859-1 and koi8-r rules handling a little, it seems to work
> like a champ. This is good stuff.

Thank you for your work on this!

> I think we should add a couple of LM
> codepages too, like cp437, cp737, cp850 and cp866.

Why do you call these LM?  cp866 was the most popular Cyrillic encoding
under MS-DOS, but I doubt that Windows uses it for LM hashes, or does it?
I'd expect Cyrillic versions of Windows to use cp1251 there, like they
do in other places except when running DOS programs.

> I'm "sorry" for breaking the patch naming scheme. I'm fed up with the
> wiki repo.

I'm sorry for not setting up a git repo yet.  I always have higher
priority tasks to work on - e.g., merging the already submitted patches
felt like higher priority, to unblock further work and to have these
tested before the KoreLogic contest.

In fact, at this time I feel that we need to focus on changes likely
relevant to the contest only.  (The encodings might be relevant.  The
plugins stuff was not, so I would have postponed it.)

Is the primary reason for your patch file naming change that there were
too many files in the john directory?

Thanks again,

Alexander