Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 16:30:37 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: ISO-8859-1 casing (experimental)

> Am 18.07.2011 23:39, schrieb jfoug:
>> I created a new option (--iso-8859-1).  This is just a boolean flag
>> (like the --utf8 switch).
>
> At this point, shouldn't this be converted into an enum,
> allowing future enhancements?
>
> Frank

This is a VERY good suggestion.  There is a very limited set of flag bits,
but we may want to expand this to additional charsets at some time.  That is
why this is only a 'john-dev' posting, as I was hoping for others input such
as this.

We may still want a flag bit, telling john that there 'is' a charset change.
That way, we have a simply quick flag check to know that we are in default
'7-bit' mode, and do not slow anything down.  However, if the flag is set,
we can take the additional step to see what charset we need (when we are in
the proper section of code).

Jim.