Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:39:42 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: ISO-8859-1 casing (experimental)

I have made a few minor changes.  I believe that casing for ISO-8859-1 is
there in the rules.  Also things like !?X / !?A, etc should work properly.

I created a new option (--iso-8859-1).  This is just a boolean flag (like
the --utf8 switch).   Then in rules.c I created 2 new char 'types',
CHARS_LOWER_8859_1 and CHARS_UPPER_8859_1.  Then in a few spots where the
char groupings are loaded, I check to see if we are in -iso-8859-1 mode, and
if so, add different character sets.   It was actually very trivial, but the
builtin default john -rules works like a champ, on a dictionary with these
characters scattered about.

If people want to have a look, go for it.

If the -iso-8859-1 switch is not set, there should be a ZERO impact on the
rules, they will work just like they do today.  However, if that switch is
set, then those upper character data items will be treated as characters,
and the casing will also use them properly to up or down case appropriately.

Jim.

[ CONTENT OF TYPE text/html SKIPPED ]