Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 02:03:39 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Any flags needed to statically link openmp in Linux

Robert,

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 06:39:54PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> So, it looks like the opm des 7 patch needs to be fixed, maybe I'll do that
> soon, if the creator does not.

"The creator" is me, and frankly I did not care all that much about uses
of that patch on 32-bit builds, where it results in relatively poor
performance.  Personally, I wouldn't use such builds anyway - I'd either
use x86-64 builds, or on a 32-bit machine/OS I would run separate
instances of JtR in the old-fashioned pre-OpenMP way.  The performance
hit of going from x86-sse.S (not thread-safe, so not used with OpenMP)
to the intrinsics and thread-safety is just too large for 32-bit
x86/SSE2 code.  The compiler has too few registers to play with.

That said, when time permits, I intend to merge the DES/OpenMP stuff
into the official JtR, also getting rid of the -omp-des-4 vs. -omp-des-7
separation (avoiding the tradeoff in a certain way).  When I do that, I
intend to include support for 32-bit builds as well, for completeness.

Alexander