Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 07:31:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Johnny GUI design changes

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:45:18PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:
> New tab interface:
> http://trunk.shinnok.com/johnny/johnny-new-tab-interface-1.png
> http://trunk.shinnok.com/johnny/johnny-new-tab-interface-2.png

This looks good to me.

> This new approach takes away some of the bulkiness and complexity that
> the traditional tab interface inflicts and makes it more user friendly
> and warm feeling for new inexperienced users, while still adhering to
> the same rule that everything should be accessible for the experienced
> users at no more then on click or keyboard shortcut. Also this new
> approach makes options and settings embedding easier, thus taking the
> need for a preferences menu and dialog irrelevant.
>
> Hashes and Passwords pages have been merged into a single one called
> Passwords, since it doesn't really make sense to have two separate pages.

This sounds good to me.

> Single, Wordlist and Bruteforce tabs have been merged into a single one
> called Options, that use stacked widgets to switch between them.

I like not exposing the cracking modes right in the tabs.  There are
going to be more cracking modes and also combinations of modes, so we'd
need a user interface that would easily accommodate that.  Your new
proposal is better from this perspective.

BTW, I generally avoid the word brute-force (or bruteforce or however
people spell it), because it is ambiguous.  Some people think that it
refers to any cryptographic key or password probing attacks (as opposed
to other and more advanced cryptanalytic attacks or vulnerability
exploits), regardless of what keys are tried and in what order - and
this makes sense to me.  However, many people think that wordlist
attacks are not brute-force attacks.  Then, some draw the line between
things like JtR's DumbForce external mode (brute-force) and incremental
mode (not brute-force).  Or even between DumbForce and KnownForce.
Thus, the word does not have a specific enough meaning for us to use it
in JtR documentation (and it's in fact not used there), nor in the GUI.

Thanks,

Alexander