Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 20:55:33 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: dupes in john.pot

Solar,

Neither using OMP nor MPI, if I attack n hashes, crack all of them, and
john says it cracked *more* than n, does that suggest anything special
to you? Could this happen because of an undetected problem with
salt_hash or something like that?

There are two variations of the problem:

1. I have a test file (with 1320 unique hashes) for mysql that says
"guesses: 1322" yet there are no dupes in john.pot.

2. I have a test file for mscash that also says "guesses 1322" and in
this case, there are actually two cases of duplicate hashes in john.pot

I (and Jim) have seen it on DES too, but right now I can't reproduce. I
think that was using the test suite as posted on the wiki, and only with
32-bit x86 builds or something like that. There was 1321 found out of 1320.

I can send you test files but I thought you might have some immediate ideas.

magnum