Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:47:38 +0200
From: Ɓukasz Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Lukas's Status Report - #6 of 15

This week:
- I've tested newest nVidia drivers 270.41.19, and they are 2-3%
slower than old 259
- I've tested new Cuda toolkit 4.0, it helped to solve some of
"misterious errors" during kernel launches.
- Found bug in md5-crypt cuda patch - it wasn't working on G80
architecture, because it has got separate instructions for reading
from constant, and global memory. Compiler had a problem with it:
Warning:  Cannot tell what pointer points to, assuming global memory space
And this time assumption was wrong which causes runtime errors.
Fermi has unified memory operations/addresing so it worked fine.
Bug is solved now.
-Finished md5-crypt rev0. Password length is limited to 15, so I could
use faster algorithm. Without any optimizations like loop unroling or
use of shared memory i've achieved ~110k c/s. Next revision should
easily double it but as always it's 2-3 slower than oclhashcat.
-Created newer version of sha256-based crypt, it's not ready, need day
maximum two to finish it. As md5 crypt i've limited password length.

Next week:
Finish sha512crypt. BTW https://mtgox.com/ has migrated to this format.
Try to optimize previous patches.