Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 00:41:44 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Either my test script is b0rken or BF has an 8-bit bug

Can someone having access to an OpenBSD system verify the enclosed
Blowfish hash? Or produce a correct one: It is supposed to be a single
pound sign in ISO-8859-1, but I can't crack it (or any other non-ascii)
with John.

It's produced using Perl, Authen::Passphrase and I suspect the bug (or
feature) is in that one. I read stdin as raw, which is usually what
works best with Authen::Passphrase for non-Unicode formats and non-ascii
plaintexts. I have also tried to read stdin with binmode set to
iso-8859-1 and a couple other variants but nothing I've tried gets me a
crackable hash.

I suspected Perl somehow ended up crypting the UTF-8 byte sequence for a
pound sign, but that's not it (and I can't get it to do that on purpose
either)

The format is supposed to handle 8-bit, right? It says so in the struct.

magnum

#!comment: Built with pass_gen.pl using RAW mode, 0 to 125 characters
u0-BF:$2a$05$/OK.fbVrR/bpIqNJ5ianF.Sa7shbm4.OzKpvFnX1pQLmQW96oUlCq:0:0:::