Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:47:28 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: mscash & oracle fixes

Posted john-1.7.7-jumbo-6-mscash-oracle-fixes.diff.gz

* Fixes a bug in mscash2 affecting 8-bit characters when not running
utf8. At least I'm near certain there was a bug, and that it is now
fixed: We still don't have this format in pass_gen.pl so I am somewhat
working in the dark. We really need to add it.

* Fixes bugs in mscash and mscash2 that made them crash brutally if salt
(username) was longer than the maximum supported 19 characters. It won't
even load them now - this may confuse users but I'm not aware of an
official way to output a notice.

* Highly improved salt_hash() in oracle, mscash and mscash2 for better
scaling. All three use the username (in Unicode) as salt and they
previously just returned the lower eight bits of first character. I used
a very common public domain hash function (djb, xor variant as I run it
on UTF-16 instead of chars).

magnum

[ CONTENT OF TYPE text/html SKIPPED ]