Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:35:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.7-jumbo-6

magnum, Dhiru, Jim -

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:02:12AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> FWIW I tested RC3 today on my ancient Sparc. Lots of things has happened
> since so I'm not sure how relevant this is for RC6 but anyway: This

It is somewhat relevant, and it'd be better if you posted it a couple of
hours sooner...  When you posted it, I was already releasing -jumbo-6.

> machine has no problems building Jumbo-5 but it can't build Jumbo-6-RC3
> because there was a need for stdint.h (I only saw uint8_t which I could
> work around with ease)

Oops.  We should have fixed that.  Can you perhaps submit a patch
against -jumbo-6 now?

> and strtok_r (it was present in string.h but
> required C99 or something like that? Anyway possibly fixed now) and

The uses of strtok_r() are gone. :-)

> getopt. That's where I had to call it a day, there may be more.

pdf2john.c does in fact use getopt_long(), which is not sufficiently
portable.  We need to patch that.  Dhiru?

> I really don't care if we raise some bars, just telling what I saw. I
> can revisit it tomorrow and possibly come up with a couple of fixes if
> that is wanted.

Yes, please.

> Not sure about working around a missing getopt though...

getopt_long() is a GNU extension, which we should not use.  Plain
getopt() is quite portable, and it was already used by tgtsnarf.c.

Maybe it'd be better to switch to using John's own getopt.[ch] also for
options of un* and *2* programs - e.g., Jim's added options to unique
could be parsed in that way.

Jim - also, it turns out that we forgot to include your
john-1.7.7-jumbo-5-md5_gen_patch-2.diff fixing "Issues with gen_md5 new
linking method".  Perhaps submit this via the wiki such that we don't
miss it next time?

Thanks,

Alexander