Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:03:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.7-jumbo-6

Dhiru -

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 09:24:55PM -0700, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 9:12 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> >> $ ./john ../src/unused/sshdump
> >> Loaded 2 password hashes with 2 different salts (ssh [32/64])
> >> *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (!prev): 0x000000001f5e0410 ***
> >> Aborted
>
> > This only affects OpenMP-enabled builds here, so it is likely a thread
> > safety issue, maybe with older OpenSSL on that machine.  If the issue is
> > in fact inside OpenSSL, we'll need to add #if's to disable OpenMP in
> > ssh_fmt.c if the version of OpenSSL is too old (need to figure out what
> > problem this is and in what version it got fixed).
>
> Which machine and what version of OpenSSL are you using? It is Owl 3?
> I am setting up a Owl 3 VM again. Will try to replicate this there.

Yes, that was an Owl 3'ish system with OpenSSL 0.9.7m and a custom build
of gcc 4.5.0.  x86_64, 8 logical CPUs (so 8 threads).

--test --format=ssh doesn't fail, but gives rather poor performance
(similar to that of a single thread), which might be related to the same
problem (the threads accessing the same memory pages).

Thanks,

Alexander