Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 01:54:35 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Makefile LN = ln -sf

On 2011-06-08 01:35, Solar Designer wrote:
> In -jumbo-5, there are these changes (which were not in -jumbo-1):
>
> -LN = ln -sf
> +LN = ln -f -s
>
>   solaris-sparc64-cc:
> +	$(RM) arch.h
>   	$(LN) sparc64.h arch.h
>
> and similar for other Solaris targets.
>
> Why?  Didn't the original Makefile work fine on Solaris?
>
> Then, why make both changes at once?  Are they unrelated or are they
> both an attempt to fix the same issue?

I had problems on an ancient (we're talking 1990's) Solaris box. I had
to make clean or manually remove arch.h every time because "ln -fs"
failed. I first changed the LN because that (non-gnu) version of ln
actually did not understand -fs but it would understand -f -s. Yet for
some odd reason the problem remained so I put the RM in there and just
forgot about it. I could have just changed the path so gnu ln would be
used but I figured any unnecessary dependence on gnu utils is good.

IIRC "ln -f -s sparc32.h arch.h" did work if I typed it manually, but
not when run from (gnu) make. Very odd, I should have straced it. Anyway
I thought these fixes can't hurt so I left them there.

magnum