Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 13:08:47 -0700
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Status Report [4 of 15]

Hi All,

> 3. Extend drar to support rar files created using "rar -p" option.

It seems that RAR -p mode support requires a full RAR decompression engine.
(unless some known plaintext attack is found on the recovered
compressed stream).

Also there seems to be no documentation if RAR internally uses HMAC
for the recovered compressed stream. So for the time being, I am
moving on new tasks (zip support).

Latest RAR patch has been uploaded to the wiki in case someone wants
to take a look.

> 4. Start working towards adding zip file support to JtR.

This is what I plan to work during this and next week. ZIP uses HMAC-SHA1 before
decompression is done, which should make this work simpler compared to
RAR patch.

Last week, I published a preliminary pdf support patch which needs
further work. I also briefly played around with hdiutil (10.5.6) and
vfcrack with no luck (the tools doesn't seem to work for dmg files
created by me, more debugging required here).

--
Cheers,
Dhiru

--