Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 06:38:41 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John 1.7.7-jumbo-5

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 09:03:41AM -0500, JFoug wrote:
> Tweet:  (118 bytes, so a 'tiny' bit more could be added)
> Intrinsic SSE code (fast). Faster better md5_gen. utf8 support added.
> MPI/OMP support added. New prepare() in formats.
>
> Tweet:  (136 bytes, probably a much better tweet)
> Intrinsic SSE code (fast). Faster+enhanced md5_gen. Unicode support.
> MPI/OMP support. New prepare() in fmt_main. Better Markov / unique.

Here's what I ended up tweeting:

http://twitter.com/Openwall/status/76474625877479424

JtR 1.7.7-jumbo-5: more SSE2/AVX intrinsics, UTF-8, MPI, more #OpenMP,
MS #Kerberos 5 pre-auth, ... http://openwall.com/1775

This left 16 chars free for retweets (such as to fit "Openwall" in those).

BTW, those same SSE2 intrinsics work for 128-bit AVX as well (with the
linux-*-avx targets).  I've just confirmed this for -jumbo-5 specifically.

> On the tweet, if we need to add "john-1.7.7-jumbo-5" or "jtr-jumbo5" or
> something like that, then it becomes even harder to complete.  If we have
> to do that, can 2 tweets be done, the first listing "John the Ripper,
> update john-1.7.7-jumbo-5 just released (information to follow)"   Then the
> 2nd one containing the release notice above ?

Technically, yes, but this is bad for retweets.

> Note, that tweet was hard to do, since there is SOOO much added. Even the
> freshmeat only glosses over the major changes. There are many (MANY)
> changes that simply can not be listed under those restrictions.  This was a
> pretty big set of changes since 177-J1.

Indeed.  But besides the technical restrictions, we have to consider
that most people won't read long change lists anyway.

Thanks,

Alexander